For those who aren’t familiar, I’m Sarah, Rachel’s twin sister and Kevin’s sister-in-love (he’s more like a brother than a brother-in-law). I have asked Rachel and Kevin if I could write a post to ask for your help. I am not a beautifully talented writer like my sister, but even so, please read to the end and should you feel so moved, act.
First, let me back up.
The last three weeks haven’t been easy for the Hill’s, not that the past 2 years were any cake walk either. But the recent news that not only did the TIL trial not work, but that the tumors progressed very quickly, and then there was the brain and bone metastasis. Well, that wasn’t an easy bit of news to digest.
I have been known to call Kevin a Beast to describe how vehemently he holds onto his ability to work – from home, from the plane, from the hospital and yes, from the ICU. He is a BEAST. He is so committed to his roles of supporter and provider for his family and dedicated team member at work, it really has made me think long and hard about my own work ethic.
But as they continue farther down this path, especially with the addition of the brain tumor, the likelihood that Kevin will continue to be able to work diminishes, but the bills and financial needs do not. Many cancer patients become bankrupt within a short period of time of diagnosis, especially those who are advanced stage. The Hill’s have been very very blessed to have stayed afloat for as long as they have; which is in no small part due to the extravagant gifts and donations of friends, family and complete strangers.
If I may digress for a moment: My faith has been deeply strengthened by the AUDACIOUS and RIDICULOUS generosity of the community of people who have rallied around this family. I start to tear up all over again thinking of the times when we stated a need – a plane ticket, money for gas for a car trip to treatment, help with groceries when money was tight –immediately y’all have responded. Not just responded, but selflessly and freely gave to a family which many of you have never met. In those ways you have blessed ME, a bystander, watching God use others to lift up and carry the burdens of my sister and brother.
Now I want to ask you to help carry some of their burden again. But this time, my ask comes with a big goal in mind – Let’s raise enough to Bridge the Gap. You see, Kevin does not have a short term disability plan, and should he have to stop working, they need to have 90 days worth of bills, expenses and insurance premiums paid. In addition, they have some significant needs right now:
- Rachel and Kevin’s mini-van, fully paid for but quite old with over 180k miles on it, is in need of major repairs.
- The child care that Rachel’s doctors have strongly encouraged her to enroll Jude and Evie in isn’t in the budget.
- And there are sure to be more financial needs in the future.
So here it is. Will you consider giving? Maybe you can’t give a lot at one time, but you can commit to a small monthly contribution. There are several different ways you can contribute:
- From Your Bank: If you wish to have a monthly payment go to them, you can set up an auto-pay from your bank to Kevin Hill and have it mailed to their address 746 Pearce Street, Atlanta, GA 30310. Or you can make a one time payment via this method.
- From Your Credit Card: Or if you prefer you can make an electronic (credit or debit card) donation to their PayPal account http://hillfamilyfighters.weebly.com/bills–money.html. NOTE: Donation amounts are lessened due to the small administrative fee that PayPal charges.
- Tax Deductible: Or you can make a tax deductible contribution to their Helping Hands account. NOTE: donations to Rachel and Kevin are lessened due to the 8% administrative fee that Helping Hands charges. http://hillfamilyfighters.weebly.com/bills–money.html
In the near future, we will hold fundraising events such as an online auction, restaurant nights where a portion of that days’ sales are donated, etc. that you can participate in and invite your others to as well. If you or someone you know is interested in helping us with any of these events, please let me know.
Thanks for reading. Thanks for considering giving. Thanks for praying. Your love, support and prayers are a huge part of what keeps Kevin, Rachel, and the rest of our family filled with HOPE.